Grape, Sultana And Raisin Toxicity In Dogs
Dogs cannot eat grapes even in small amounts
Grapes, sultanas and raisins are very toxic to dogs although the exact cause of the toxic reaction is not known. Ingesting these sweet substances can be fatal for dogs of any age, breed or gender. This includes when used as an ingredient in Fruit Cakes, muffins or Hot Cross Buns.
Cats are least likely to eat grapes or raisins and there are no reports of cats experiencing toxicity from these foods. However dogs can suffer acute kidney failure, so it’s best not to take the risk if you think your cat has ingested these fruits. Seek veterinary advice to ensure all is well in any case.
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Decrease in urine or inability to urinate
- Bad breath
- Oral ulcers
- Tremors or seizures
- Collapsed or coma
Emergency treatment before transport to a veterinarian
PVE does not recommend any form of emergency treatment prior to transport to a veterinarian. If you suspect your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, you need to seek veterinary help as soon as possible even if they are not showing symptoms.
Grape, sultana or raisin ingestion can be fatal. Seek veterinary treatment as soon as possible.
What to expect at the vet
- Emesis (induction of vomiting stomach contents)
- Activated charcoal to absorb toxins in the gastrointestinal tract
- Intravenous fluid therapy
- IV fluids
- Dialysis in extreme cases for kidney support
- Medication to stimulate urine production
Ensure your pets don’t have access to grapes, sultanas or raisins. This includes food (such as hot cross buns or fruit loaf) that may contain these ingredients. If you suspect your pet has ingested anything containing these ingredients seek immediate veterinary advice even if they are yet to show the above mentioned symptoms.
Emma, a gorgeous 4 year old Rottweiler became ill after eating just 4 grapes. You can read all about her story in this PVE article – Rottweiler Visits Emergency After Eating Grapes.